Iversky nunnery

Iversky nunnery – the largest monastic complex of Samara

The Chapel of the Iversky Nunnery in winter

The Chapel of the Iversky Nunnery in winter

On a steep bank of Volga river you can find one of the most beautiful sights of the city – Iversky Convent. The history of this religious complex dates back to 1850, when a small community of sisters of mercy was founded here. To do this, the inhabitants of Samara collected funds and allocated a small area outside the city, where very soon a chapel with 8 cells was built. Gradually, the community had been increasing as it was supported by charity organizations and by sales of nuns’ needlework.

The panorama of the Iversky Nunnery

The panorama of the Iversky Nunnery

After 10 years of its running, the community grew so large that it was renamed a nunnery. They were given a priest and the Prior was chosen. And after half a century of existence, Iversky convent became a whole town, which included 3 churches, 10 residential buildings and many office buildings. In addition, there were two cemeteries on the territory of the nunnery, where priests and nuns were buried, as well as eminent citizens of Samara. Many graves were in tombs and chapels, but for the time being, unfortunately, most of the cemetery is destroyed and demolished.

The Inner Yard of the Iversky Nunnery

The Inner Yard of the Iversky Nunnery

When Soviet authorities came, with its anti-religious views, almost all the temples and monastery complexes were closed and served as warehouses or administrative institutions. The same fate was for the Iversky convent: it was closed in 1925, most of the buildings were demolished. And it was only in 1992 when the complex was returned to the Russian Orthodox Church, after which the restoration works started.

%d bloggers like this: